Monday, January 2, 2017

Tortellini or Duck?

Getting Ready to Mix! 

We tried pasta from scratch this morning, and by "us," I mean me, with just-turned-9-year-old Youngest Child as a semi-willing taste tester. We will have to complete this task a few times before I'm ready to post a recipe; I've got a lot to learn about making pasta, but here's an accounting of the first steps in our family's fresh pasta journey! 


Finding a recipe was a challenge because most demanded "00" flour. "Doppio" or double zero pasta flour is specifically milled for pasta making, that is, lower in protein, a mellower flour.  Not willing to be foiled by double 0 anything, and having read that it's not that far off from regular flour, I went with 3 1/2 cups plus 4 eggs.  I kneaded for about 6 minutes (FYI, that's several times through "Mary Did You Know?"), but the dough was too dry.  I added a dash of olive oil which improved the situation dramatically; while there was definitely still too much flour, I could see approximately the right color and texture begin to form.



Rolled and ready to slice!  

Next, I chilled the dough for about half an hour in the fridge and then rolled it thin.  Some of it broke into pieces, so my fettuccine were uneven in length.  I didn't want to waste the pieces left over, so I chopped up some sharp cheddar and formed some awkward tortellini, including what appeared to be a duck....

Need to work on the aesthetics! 

Tortellini or Duck? 


Let's just cook him to find out!  

Turns out, fresh pasta cooks in about 4 minutes rather than 7-8 if placed in already boiling water.  We always add two drops of rosemary or oregano essential oil, a dash of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt to the boiling water, but today I wanted to really taste the pasta for itself, so I went with just the oil and no salt.  

Ready for the taste tester...

Disclaimer:  The Youngest Child was not bribed, paid or prepped for what he was about to experience!  And the reason you can read the logo on his Star Wars pajamas is because, yes, they were on inside out (he careth not).   <3




I'm anxious to try fresh pasta again and to add some variations to the dough and while I cook it.  I'll keep you posted!  

Thank you for reading!  I hope you'll leave me any feedback and tips you have !    Love, Liz  




No comments:

Post a Comment